Saturday, October 30, 2010

GrouponCheck.com

I've been playing around with appengine for a while and finally I've decided to publish something. My website gets deals from groupon for all cities and displays it on http://www.grouponcheck.com.

Obviously its nothing much to look at right now, but hopefully I get some time to spruce it up. If you log on to the site, it prints out deals from just a few cities and not from the aforementioned all cities. Apparently I found out google has a 30 second limit on requests and since I load the json deals from groupon as a cronned servlet request, its hitting the 30 second limit. I might have to look at task queues and see if they have a solution for me.

Another, not quite obvious, stumbling point was how to set up masked domain forwarding. I bought my domain on google apps through enom and the domain forwarding part isn't as straight forward as my other domain forwarding (anoopkulkarni.com) from yahoo small business domains. I finally happened on to a knol which contained the required instructions with the main part in


  • Add a Host Record with @ as the Host Name, the url of the home page of your Site as the Address, and URL Frame as the Record Type
  • Change or add a CNAME of www so it points to the symbol @


If google is serious about google apps and google domains, they might look into making their services slightly more straightforward to use.

No comments: